A Mexican-inspired salad with tender chicken, black beans, creamy avocado, juicy tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and more! EASY, ready in 20 minutes, HEALTHY, and packed with fiesta FLAVORS galore!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed
- one 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin rounds
- 1 or 2 medium ripe Hass avocados, diced into medium chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 3 teaspoons agave or honey, optional and to taste
- pinch cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, chicken, evenly sprinkle with cumin and chili powder, and cook over medium-high heat until done, about 5 minutes. Stir and flip intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- Add the garlic, stir to combine, and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add the black beans, stir to combine, evenly season everything with salt and pepper, and cook for about 1 minute, or until beans are lightly warmed.
- Transfer skillet contents to a large bowl, add the tomatoes, green onions, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, apple cider vinegar, and stir to combine.
- Check for seasoning balance, and if desired, add the optional agave/honey, optional cayenne, additional salt or pepper, etc.
- Salad is best fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 3 days, noting the avocado will oxidize as time passes.
YIELD: 4 Servings
SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: